Monday, October 24, 2016

King and Queen's Rapier Championship

This past weekend was King and Queen's Rapier Championship. It meant that there was lots and lots of fencing going on as well as seeing family that hasn't been seen in far too long. I didn't have a scroll go out at this particular event, so my brain was zeroed in on fencing my little heart out. That's not to say I didn't bring my art, in fact I had to hand off a completed scroll so that it could make it to its final destination.


Fencing went well. From what I've heard there was something like 92 fencers there for the tourney; that's a lot of talent bringing in their A-Game. My pool was pretty deep; twelve fencers of extraordinary talent. Sadly I didn't make it out of my pool to advance further in the tourney. It was still fun, however. And I did much better than I had anticipated doing; even bypassed my own goal of winning at least one fight.

The highlight of the event was watching some amazing people progress all the way through the tourney and winning. Both of them very talented and well deserving of their new titles. Well, watching them as well as watching my husband become Provost to his Don, Master Frasier.

And, while those were the highlights of the event, the highlight of the day for me was after the event, surrounded with friends and family. Mistress Elizabeth allowed me the honor of becoming her apprentice.

For the past several months I have been giving serious thought as to what would be right for me on my art journey; who would be the best person to learn and study from. And, while there are numerous people that I will learn various things from still, there was one person who felt right in leg of the journey I'll be taking.

First, however, there were a few people that I had to speak with. On the way to Elizabth and Antonio's, I spoke first with my husband. Teo was supportive as well as giving me his honest input on everything that I asked. I then spoke with my Dona, Mercedes. There were questions and answers and the general gist was 'It's about damn time'. Then I spoke with Frasier and his basic response was something along the lines of 'And? Took you long enough'.

The final person that I spoke with was Elizabeth herself. When I spoke with her my only intention was to ask that I could speak with her about it at some point this week; as she had a house full of people and I didn't want to add to the stress. Pleasantly surprised, that conversation went in a completely direct and different direction. And, a couple hours later, we stood before our family and friends as it became official.



I'm beyond excited for the path ahead; I know it's going to be long and challenging but I am so absolutely looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment