Thursday, March 9, 2017

Architecture


The key to any art, skill, trade, etc is practice. Practice, practice, and more practice. So, that's what we do. This particular practice piece was focused on architecture. Inspiration drawn from THIS particular piece, in fact:





This particular inspiration piece is from the 'Compendium of Architectural Books' by Sebastiano Serlio. Book V of a whole series of books, in fact. Now, I didn't do the entire piece, at least not yet. Instead I drew inspiration from the structures up front on the left hand side of the original. This particular piece I wanted to use to practice both depth and pen/ink technique on bristol.

All the straight lines were something that proved to be difficult at first; especially when working with an ink dip pen. I couldn't use the pen along a ruler, as that would then cause the ink to drop from the pen to the paper in a giant drop of ink splatter. So, after using a ruler for the initial lines, I had to take and follow each line free handed. It was definitely an adventure; especially given just how many straight lines there were. All in all, however, I'm super proud of how the piece came out in the end.



Some of the lines still have a bit of a wobble to them. While it pokes at the perfectionist in me, I actually think it helps to add to the authenticity of the piece. I'm pleased with the shading, particularly the shading done on the tile 'ground' in front of the buildings as well.

Somewhere down the line I intend on doing another piece, but this time the whole inspiration piece.








No comments:

Post a Comment