Friday, February 2, 2018

Silver Brooch - Beatrice de Warynton

Normally, when a scroll assignment is sent out, the scribe is given a healthy amount of time to research, create and deliver it before the event with which it goes out at. This particular piece (along with one other that went the same time, post to come) didn't have that time-table. It was brought up that scrolls were needed for an event, Bhakail Yule, a week and a few days before the event itself. I volunteered to do them, because that's what we do to help bring a smile to people's faces.

And so, the scribal race against time began!


The great thing about this particular piece, was that it was for someone I know; which means I know what she likes to do and therefore can personalize the scroll a bit more and, hopefully, make it that little bit more special for her.

The first thought I had was that this was Bea (Beatrice de Warynton), who does some beautiful weaving, so naturally I wanted to include weaving in the piece. Of course, I had an image in my head which mean that I had to do a healthy amount of research until I could find the 'right inspiration piece'. Below is the original inspiration piece and you can go HERE to see the full details.


As you can see, I didn't take the whole piece, instead I chose to focus solely on the figure in the bottom left; the lovely figure with the loom. Now, this isn't the type of loom that I've seen Bea using, but with this one I could attempt to personalize the pattern on the weave as well; which would make it just that bit more.

With that image in mind, I broke out my pen. Because it was short notice, I kept the pieces at a manageable size so that I could give them my best and not have to rush.

Materials:

5"x7" Pergamenata
Crow Quill Pen
Higgin's Black Magic Ink.


Now, where I'm just still starting out with wordsmithing, I reached out for help with the words for this particular scroll. So, words by the wonderful Charyte Dale.

I'm pleased with this piece, especially given that I always have a hard time converting a painted inspiration piece into a pen/ink piece. But it's a wonderful challenge. And, I got to see Bea's face when she saw her scroll, that was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment