Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Brennan & Caoilfhionn's Ducal Challenges: Entry

So, last year I heard about Brennan and Caoilfhionn's Ducal Challenge, Teo made a cloak for it and was all excited about it when he told me. Describing it, I was super bummed that I had missed it, but determined that I'd go this year. And I did. 

What I particularly loved when I heard about it was the combination of martial arts and A&S. I loved that the entry fee was something of your creation (or something you commissioned from someone to make for you to use as an entry) and at the end, everyone would walk away with some amazing piece of art from a varying range of specialties. When I went this year, the prizes ranged between cheese to furniture. 

So, for my entry this year, I did what I love doing. I sat down with ink, paper and inspiration. 

My inspiration came from Albrecht DΓΌrer, a personal favorite of mine, I admit. This particular inspiration piece is The Lady on Horseback and The Lansquenet, circa 1497. The link to the original can be found HERE; and it's pictured below.


With this piece, I particularly love the flow and shading that happens. The way he used the shading to give the muscles in the subjects definition; a great example of this are the horse's legs and chest. Instead of just being a generic shape, the contours shape and define the presence of the horse. 

 
Now, when I recreated it, I did have to extend a bit on either side in order to fill out the paper; finishing up the castle and stretching out the mountain range a bit further. It was interesting, trying to make sure I matched the style completely. Once I was sure about the spacing and the size it was time to transfer it over to an 11x13.5 of Pergamenata and go to town with ink. 

Side note: Whenever that happens, I end up with almost as much ink on my hands as the outline on paper does. Nothing more satisfying. 


With the transfer, I made sure to add the minimal guidelines for shading; mostly to remind myself where the muscle definition and such would go for later development. 


When it came time to finally start the more in-depth shading, I started with the woman and the horse. I was actually really excited to do the shading on the horse, it provided a challenge that I couldn't actually wait to conquer. 


Oddly enough, the hardest part of the whole thing was the horse's tail, the balance of shadow while still maintaining the ability to differentiate what it actually was was a challenge. And yet the mane didn't provide the same issues. 

That feather though....the direction change mid-feather was a pain, but so much fun!

All in all, I'm really happy with how this piece ended up; and I'm actually more than a little surprised that it ended up being the second item picked. Following are some close up shots of the different features. 



No comments:

Post a Comment