Sunday, December 10, 2017

Yet to be Sent AoA

It's a bit late, but over the summer I was giving the assignment for an AoA; this was actually the first scroll I'd do for someone that I had met in person previously. And it would be handed out at GNEW (Great North Eastern War), but unfortunately he hadn't made it into court for the scroll to go out.


For this scroll, I wanted to attempt to personalize it a bit more. Something using a long weapon of some kind to coincide with his preferred heavy weapon; polearm. Though I'm still a little shaky on drawing a person to look more like the recipient, so that is something that I will have to continue working on.

I chose to use inspiration from the Codex Admontesis 18; circa the 12th Century. It's a depiction of Michael the Archangel, complete with armor, shield and lance, slaying a dragon. The original link can be found here or you can see the inspiration image below:



The scroll was completed on Bristol, the outline was completed by ink dip pen. Painting the whole thing was incredibly fun, though I did realize quickly how much work it took to paint the chainmail.




While the original only went straight down, I wrapped the tail around it to make a bit more of a frame. Once that was done I started in with the paints to get that done before the final piece was sent off to Mistress Nataliia for calligraphy.



I shifted the colors a bit from the original on the F and the shield.



Calligraphy was done by Mistress Nataliia
Illumination by Myself

No comments:

Post a Comment