Thursday, August 1, 2019

Barony of Iron Bog - Rapier Champion (Number 2)

I was asked to do the Rapier Champion scroll for the Barony of Iron Bog again, which really pleased me. I had already had a piece in mind that I had wanted to do for some kind of rapier award, so I was really excited to be asked to do this one.



The source material I used was the European Sibyl, from the series of Sibyls by Lucas van Leyden circa 1530. It can be found online on the Met Online Collection, HERE. Or, you can see the image below:


With this particular piece, I actually wanted to incorporate some silver into the usual pen and ink aesthetic; and I just so happened to have silver ink that I could use as well. So, I decided to use that ink to help accent some places; the curves of her face, her eyes and a few spots on her clothing as well. Nothing crazy, but something to give it just a little shine.



I did the calligraphy and the illumination while Don Lorenzo Gorla did the words:

To all officers, marshals, ministers, and diverse gentles: let this document memorialize that _________ has been appointed as the champion of the Barony of Iron Bog to all scholars and practitioners of defense, as ordered and ordained on the 11th Day of May, AS 54,by the Baron and Baroness of Iron Bog, Declan Gobha and Aibhlin Inghean Ui Phadin.

No comments:

Post a Comment